Random programming talk | I have no Structs on my List

Sounds fun! Working on small projects is the best way to learn.

These fantasy consoles, and weā€™ll the concept of them at all, is quite facinating.

So iā€™m doing a Snake game in JS for a class project and, well, i mean JS is strange but thatā€™s not really the point here. The thing i like about this is that with these projects is how little we have to work with. Teacher doesnā€™t want us using any sort of API so i really have to build the most basic things (spent some hours trying to build my own time delta calculations to enable timed game updates til i figured out setInterval was a thing, i do want to go back to the delta thing tho), like, we have to figure out how game logic works, the ā€œcheck state/handle outliers/update logic and objects/drawā€ rhythm and how it should be set up. Itā€™s such a cool challenge. Literally no one else in the class is as excited as me tho >_> project group included it seems, but theyā€™re not so comfortable as i am so iā€™m trying to just build the most essential things and leave the code easy enough to read and handle that they can actually build on top of it with ease.

I donā€™t know what it is about code but it puts my mind in such a a state of work that nothing else really does. Itā€™s like a lie, like the code you build is a fantasy that makes you feel life is somehow ordered and loggable to console.

Sounds like you have the programming bug. When Iā€™ve tried to make games in the past, I always enjoyed working on the lower level things, creating the tools to make the game than the game itself.

Now Iā€™m tempted to write my own game engine.

Oh wow just noticed the need to commit ever change is kind of like the obsession to reload after every shot

I generally commit complete features, classes or functions. The most important part is to never commit code that will break other parts of the project. That doesnā€™t mean that they have to be large. Today I fixed a bug with two words of code.

Weā€™ve been deploying plenty this week. But I am working through the holidays so whatever.

https://wiki.superfamicom.org/

That rings very true.

Having worked at two large companies, one more traditionally enterprise at this point and another that is large enough but is still transitioning into ā€œenterpriseā€ Iā€™ve faced all of those issues to varying degrees.

You can put it simply as, which is harder to start moving: A pebble or a boulder? Enterprises are harder to get projects and changes going and on the flip side, harder to stop momentum. The less people involved with any change means it is that much easier to make that change.

https://swalladge.id.au/archives/2018/10/15/alternative-code-styles/