Movies seen over the weekend

Whatever, I liked it.

That figures. This was a god damn cartoon.

I did hear it was the best anime this year

It’s unfortunate that you didn’t enjoy it. Couldn’t be helped I guess.

I loved the first half of Big Hero 6. Cartoon comedy > cartoon action.

Spring Breakers | Harmony Korine | 2012 | US | 94 min | HD | Action | Crime | Drama | The prettiest nightmare.

Spring Breakers isn’t a cautionary tale, or some single-minded critique of our generation. The more people read simplistic morality into the film, the less great a piece of art it becomes. If you know Korine at all, you should know he’s not interested in black and white morality or teaching anyone a lesson. He’s interested in people; in feelings; in aesthetics; in Southern fried philosophy; in moods and moments. This isn’t about how reckless youth are; it’s about finding infinity. It’s about discovering yourself in an impressionistic world of fleeting moments of jubilation we all seek to save on a hard drive for later nostalgic purposes. The great irony is that spring break holds virtually identical scenery in every party city, and yet Faith’s main goal is a change of scenery. In one of the film’s most pointedly visceral moments, she’s confronted by the reality outside of her video game world of spring break and grows uncomfortable and escapes. It’s a startling sequence of racial tension. And the best scene in the film is set completely unironically to an old Britney Spears song. It’s not a big gag to troll tween Selena Gomez fans, and it’s not a sweeping statement about young people. It’s a microcosmic filter of neon lights, barely tangible hedonistic longing and racing minds and hearts. Alien is undoubtedly one of Korine’s most fascinating characters; someone capable of leading life as a drug lord while simultaneously being bizarrely generous, tender and thoughtful with the girls. Korine thrives on these contradictions and homespun poets. When Alien enters the film, it becomes something else entirely. Something much more profound and ambitious. It goes from good to excellent as soon as the girls exit that jail.

Is there fucking?

Yes.

I watched Skyfall on netflix

anyway mostly wanted to say Javier Bardem killed it as the villlian.
that scene where he takes out his fake teeth and his eyes go all bulge-y was creepy as fuck, just a cray character in general

dude should be in more english speaking stuff

Spring Breakers is a beautiful film.
Just go in to watch it for the visuals, and you’ll like it.

Ex Machina | Alex Garland | 2015 | US | 108 min | HD | Drama | Sci-Fi | Disappointing

I was excited about Ex Machina and it was entertaining, and visually solid, but a lot of it felt hackneyed and rote. I think the thing that bothers me the most is how the two human characters, aware of the Turing test (one of them brilliant enough to create the most advanced form of A.I. ever) don’t ask themselves one of the most fundamental questions of the Turing test until the end. Both of them seemed conveniently stupid.

And what is that fundamental question?

Mad Max Fury Road | George Miller | 2015 | US | 120 | Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi | Shiny and chrome!

Second time seeing Fury Road on the big screen…

The detail in the set/vehicle design is absolutely incredible, especially when you consider that some of the cars are only on screen for a minute, the jutting metals, roll-cage, decaying steel, beat-up chrome, the reinforced tires, and that nearly everything there is mechanically functional… the second viewing you’re really able to take in some of the finer details, and it reveals a film with an obsessive, demanding sense of aesthetic that nearly every element of the film obeys. The film’s extended chase is about as well broken up as it can be - If any film is to make an argument for practical effects in action set pieces, it’s this one - that nearly everything is a functional machine crashing, burning and smashing into one another makes the action feel tremendously dangerous is pretty special, and more exciting than any recent action film. In a lot of ways, Miller’s cuts don’t feel too quick, despite the fact there’s a lot more editing in this one. Yeah, this is a better film than the other Mad Max films, the film is visceral, tremendous, and probably the best action film of the past couple of decades, seeing it again I feel comfortable putting it in that spot.

True Detective S2e1

Farrell is fucked, I love it.

“I’m gonna buttfuck your daddy with your momma’s headless corpse.”

Also, the “that’s a boy’s name?” made me laugh out loud, exactly something I would say.

An excellent final episode of Top Gear. It’s really hit me now…

I liked the literal elephant in the room, also. Nice touch.

Taken (2008) was really good. I’m not the biggest fan of Liam Neeson so I never got around to see until now.

Avalon (2001) is a Polish/Japanese movie about an illegal VR game. Overall it is an average movie, but it is quite pretty and there are some good scenes. The director is more known for Ghost in the Shell.

Night Will Fall (2014) is a documentary about an unreleased documentary about the atrocities of the prison/labor/death camps of World War II. If you haven’t visited one of the camps then it is worth watching.

I watched The Search for General Tso on Netflix. It was super interesting and thoroughly researched.

Guess what I’m having for dinner tonight. :slight_smile:

Watched it as well. Haven’t had any Chinese food though recently.