Biker gangs had a bloody shootout near a Texan restaurant in Waco

Police in the US state of Texas say nine people have been killed and at least 100 arrested after a shootout between rival biker gangs in Waco.

The incident happened at the Twin Peaks Sports Bar and Grill in a shopping area called the Central Texas Market Place.

Police said eight had died at the scene and a ninth in hospital - all were bikers. At least 18 others were hurt.

One witness quoted by the Waco Tribune-Herald said the car park of the restaurant resembled “a war zone”.

“There were maybe 30 guns being fired in the parking lot, maybe 100 rounds,” Michelle Logan said.

‘Dangerous and hostile’

Waco police said the shooting happened shortly after midday when rival gangs got into a fight, apparently over parking space near the restaurant. Up to five gangs were involved.

Police spokesman Sgt W Patrick Swanton said the fight started with punches and then escalated to chains, clubs, knives and finally firearms.

"This is probably one of the most gruesome crime scenes I’ve ever seen in my 34 years of law enforcement,’’ he said.

Police moved in when shooting started and some of them also discharged their weapons, he added.

One witness said he and his family had just finished finished their lunch and walked into the parking lot when they heard gunshots.

“We crouched down in front of our pick-up truck because that was the only cover we had,” the witness - who asked not to be named - was quoted as saying.

That is terrible. I wasn’t aware biker gangs were still a menace to society. I thought they faded away after the 1980s. Police said there were five separate biker gangs involved in the shootout. 30 guns were being shot!

Good thing they only shot each other.

BBC | Waco shootings: 192 face charges

Where’s the raw footage of the fight? Totally want to see the biker war.

That’s the funny thing about the biker gang culture. They’ve been romanticized in pop culture that when we hear about biker gangs having a large scale war, we become interested in seeing video footage of that.

I don’t believe anyone recorded any footage because there were several gunshots going off in a short amount of time. No one wanted to risk getting killed, and the people in the restaurant were hiding in the freezer.