Cool/Exciting/Interesting things (probably videos)

I solved one side in 30 seconds the last time I tried.

I can do three sides. Slowly.

The fourth always trips me up because you have to memorize moves.

Bezos’ rocket achieves controlled landing back on Earth

A rocket built by Blue Origin, an aerospace company backed by Jeff Bezos, recently reached space and executed a controlled landing back on Earth, which allows it to be used again. Bezos himself joined Twitter this morning to announce the news. Elon Musk, whose SpaceX company has been trying (and failing) to do something similar lately, congratulated Bezos and his team on Twitter but also threw a little shade on BO’s efforts to reach “space” vs. SpaceX’s efforts to reach “orbit”.

So far, SpaceX has managed to get its own reusable booster close to its barge platform, but hasn’t nailed the landing yet. Elon Musk’s company does have a more daunting task, however – its Falcon 9 reusable first stage is propelling the rocket to an orbital, not suborbital altitude. While SpaceX’s rocket separates at a similar height of around 50 miles, its speed at that point is much faster than that of New Shepard – around Mach 10 compared to Mach 3.7. As a result, it continues to an apogee height of nearly 90 miles, so it has a lot further to fall. During its last attempt, the rocket unfortunately exploded early in the flight, setting the program back significantly.

I’m sure SpaceX could get their rocket to land if doing the same test as they have done landing tests before. They haven’t been able to successfully land after a full mission, which is when it blew up the last time.

Tank with stabilized gun excels at balancing beer

The Leopard 2 battle tank was developed for the West German army in the 70s and has a fully stabilized main gun. If you’re flying along at 30 mph on bumpy ground, your gun remains steadily pointed on-target (like an owl or chicken head).

Space miniatures

Using a tilt-shift effect, St. Tesla created miniature versions of galaxies, nebula, and supernovas.

David Ehrlich’s video compilation of his favorite films of the year.

color night vision, fucking crazy man like this will probably be commonplace in the next decade can you imagine it?? all those videos of people having sex on beaches at night

Wow!

i’ll be impressed when you can train a scorpion to do the same thing

YT comments never disappoint. lol

Smog envelops Beijing: before and after pictures as city goes on red alert.

With pollution reaching 40 times the safe level, China’s capital has issued its first red warning, closing down schools and factories until Thursday. These images show Beijing under a layer of smog – and what it looked like on a clear day.

Pollution is so bad in parts of China that I hesitate to even visit them.

Shameful really. The warning bells were out there. I’d rather visit Taiwan instead.

This video is 20 minutes of the best YouTube footage from 2015 of extreme sports, marriage proposals, cute kids, funny animals, fast cars, groovy dancing, dronies, and more slow-motion GoPro footage than you could ever want to see in one lifetime.

A collection of old film footage of NYC, taken between 1896 and 1905, along with maps and descriptions of the locations.

Here’s to 2015