How do you feel about current gen?

It has been more than 3 years since the PS4 and Xbox One got released. I think it’s a good time to discuss current gen now that we also have an idea of what to expect with the Switch.

What current consoles do you own? How do you feel about current gen? What are your plans? Etc.

I don’t own current gen consoles and am not sure of whether I will own one.

Current Ranking:

PS4
For the longest time I had no interest in buying a PS4 due to the lack of interesting games or not liking where gaming is heading (ie consumers having less rights, service instead of product orientated etc). I have been slowly warming up to the idea of getting a PS4. There are finally enough games that interest me, the PS4 will continue to receive most games & exclusives and the system is becoming cheap. There were deals to get the slim for €221 during the Holidays. I was close to buying one, especially with FFXV released. I forced myself to wait for the Switch reveal, hoping the system would impress and receive ports such as FFXV and FFVII Remake.

Switch:
Well…it is known by now how the reveal went and how I feel about the Switch. There are reasons why I became extra harsh on Nintendo. It was their chance to set things right and show the world that they still have it. Not only did they not do that, but they also came over very arrogantly. It was clear that Nintendo would continue with its path of having less worthwhile games, shitty online and a hardware that is missing functionalities or specs that should be standard. To give one example…I’m having lots of difficulties with the Wii U’s storage at the moment. I was an idiot for getting a 8 gb model that actually only has 3 gb. The issue is, updates, add-ons or installs alone take up more than that. Smash Bros. has 10 gb worth of update, I can’t buy DLC (such as Mario Kart 8) because I don’t have the room and Zelda Breath of The Wild has a mandatory 3 gb install. It might be easy to think that everything can be solved if I buy additional storage. The only storage that can be bought and used for games and updates is through an external HDD with its own power or buying a 3.0 usb HDD with an Y-cable so that Wii U can feed it with 2 USB ports. I’ve been making research but I am not knowledgeable about HDD/Cables and what works and it seems like it would cost at least 50 euros which is a joke. I might not be able to play Zelda Breath of the Wild on the Wii U…I am tired of this bullshit. I’m tired of Nintendo holding the few games they have left behind their antics.

Xbox One:
I’ll be short on this one. I enjoyed the original Xbox and I am still enjoying the Xbox 360, but I never liked Microsoft as a company or am the target audience with their games. This was further confirmed with the reveal of Xbox One and even less diversity with their games. It is safe for me to ignore this system.

Plans:
You might say that I could just get the PS4 and Switch since they have games that I am interested in. The thing is…I have more than enough games, not knowing what to do with and I don’t have enough money to buy and support 2 consoles. I’m trying to stop buying more than I can handle. And so, if I buy a system, then it has to be one that I will use. My current plan is to wait until the Holidays to get another decent deal on a PS4. And who knows, by that time the Switch might impress me again and it could become cheaper or worth getting.

Hmmm.

PC’s are pretty great, yeah…?

Current Generation Consoles:

PS4

Thoughts about Current Generation:

To be honest, when I compare the previous generation to the current generation, in terms of software libraries, they are basically even to me. For all of the bad decisions that Sony made for the PS3, it still had a lot of good games made for it by the end of the generation. PS4 is slowly building up its own excellent software library. Wii U’s software library is abysmal. I don’t believe for a second that Nintendo is going to attract many third party companies in developing games for Switch. As always, they will get a handful of great third party games, and the rest of the library will have outstanding first party games. It’s how Nintendo has operated since the N64. I’m fine with that, at this point, because I look at Nintendo consoles as complimentary consoles to my main consoles of choice, Sony consoles. I get more use out of PS2, PS3, and PS4 than any other consoles.

Plan:

I plan on buying a Switch at launch. I have it preordered. I’ll continue to enjoy playing PS4 games, and will be looking forward to playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch launch. I’ll also be going back and continuing to chip away at my enormous backlog of PS2, PS3, Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS games. :joy:

I think the PS4 is a fantastic machine. It has good to great library of exclusives and with the suspend/resume feature I have time to play complex games in small chunks. Unlike previous generations, I also use it for streaming media. Every month I get a handful of PS+ freebies and it’s always fun to try out games I wouldn’t have touched otherwise.

The Wii U would have been my least favorite console of all time if it wasn’t for my family. I’ve barely used it for the niche hardcore games that I originally bought it for. Instead we’re playing Wii Party U, Nintendo Land, Let’s Dance, Wii Fit U, and Mario.

At this point I don’t think I will ever get a Xbox One since I can get most of its games on either PS4 or PC. I will probably also skip VR this generation.

I might get a Switch this year and I’ll probably upgrade my graphics card so I can play more recent PC games.

How does the suspend/resume function work exactly?

I’ve heard that it was added in an update and know nothing about it.

It works the same as the sleep button on a 3DS or the power button on a Vita. When you need to take a break from playing you simply hold the PS button and select “suspend”. The next time you start up your system you will “resume” exactly where you last left off. This saves me valuable minutes every time since booting up a modern game can take several minutes, and you don’t need to look for a save point before you suspend.

I wish the PS3 and PS2 had such a feature.

Will the system be turned off or is it a standby mode?

It sounds great if it works the same way as handhelds but I wonder how long your data is saved. Like…can you leave it for 2 weeks and then continue?

[quote=“RpgN, post:8, topic:844”]
Will the system be turned off or is it a standby mode?
[/quote]It’s in standby mode. The memory needs electricity to hold data. Handheld systems work the same. If the battery runs out of juice then the data will be lost.

I was hoping it would work differently or better since it’s applied on consoles. It’s still a great feature if you need to leave. Thanks for explaining.

You can also just save the game.

Haha. Of course.

That would be the first option to do. There are still games where you’re not allowed to save until you leave dungeons or clear a level for instance. And some dungeons can take a long time to clear.

At least, that is still the case with some 3DS games. I suppose that is less of a problem on the PS4.

Not a fan of the long dev cycles this generation