NieR Automata

First gameplay trailer is out.

Story

Invaders from another world attack without warning, unleashing their secret weapon: the machines. In the face of this insurmountable threat, the human race is driven from the earth and takes refuge on the moon.

The humans develop an army of android soldiers to fight back against the mechanical horde, but succeed only in slowing its advance. To break the deadlock, a new breed of android infantry is sent into the fray: the YoRHa squad.

In the forsaken wasteland below, the war between the machines and the androids rages on. A war that is soon to unveil the long-forgotten truth of this world…

The world that you see in NieR: Automata is one where androids and mechanized weapons clash in ferocious combat in a barren and deserted wasteland. It’s set after the original game but the story is written in a way which means you don’t have to have played the first one.

The world/universe is still linked between the two NieR games though so if you have played the original, you will no doubt recognize some of the locations and characters who may or may not be returning. The locations in particular will look different as they’re now more like ruins after the alien invasion but there will also be areas where you get the sense of a very advanced civilization.

YoRHa No. 2, Model B, “2B”
(designed by Akihiko Yoshida from CyDesignation)

2B is an all-purpose battle android, deployed as a member of the automated infantry squad, YoRHa. She is equipped with a sword for close quarters combat, and can attack from range using the “Pod” support system. Her eyes are obscured beneath her standard-issue military visor, which she rarely removes.

Members of the YoRHa squad forgo names and are referred to only by their code numbers. Though the regulations forbid them from expressing emotions, each model has its own distinguishing personality, and 2B is comparatively cool, calm, and collected.

She’s not actually female, or maybe it’s more accurate to say she’s not actually human. Her name or serial number is 2B and she’s an android.

At the end of the E3 announcement trailer there were three words that popped up — “doll,” “human,” and “machine” so there were hints from the start…

It’s being developed by Platinum Games and it’s 60 FPS.

It looks fucking good. The music is awesome.

The combat in the first game wasn’t exciting. With Platinum involved I’m expecting a huge improvement.

You can already tell the mechanics resemble Platinum’s work with Bayonetta. The sliding reminds me of Vanquish as well.

Platinum has become the go-to developer when a Japanese publisher wants to release an action game.

I encourage everyone to set the quality setting on the video to 1080p60. It’s a noticeable difference.

Platinum has been cranking out plenty of games lately. The Legend of Korra and Transformers: Devastation are both short with a lot of recycled content. I hope they have the time to put more effort into Nier.

I wouldn’t be opposed to them taking over Final Fantasy 15 development. >_>

Judging from the first demo, I don’t believe FF15 can be salvaged.

I look forward to FF7r and FF16.

watching that gameplay trailer

yep thats platinumgames

didnt even need to tell us beforehand tbh

oh that’s cute they’re like those r type guns

i think we finally have something to take fallout 4’s butt award

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Am I the only one getting Resonance of Fate vibes from these shots?

The environments and art style is very close to Resonance of Fate.

It looks interesting.

I could see it. I would also throw in Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Both RoF and VP2 were developed by tri-Ace, btw.

Japanese Box Art

I love the music. The soundtrack is going to be excellent. Everything about Automata will be excellent. Platinum can never disappoint me.

Do I need to have played the first Nier to understand this one?

Probably not. You had to go through the first game seven times to get the true ending and the complete story. Reading a short synopsis is easier, and even that might be unnecessary.

Keep in mind that Nier was a spin-off of the Drakengard series. If you want to experience everything for yourself then you have to invest a silly amount of hours.