Nintendo NX will launch in March 2017

The console will be a “brand-new concept,” but Nintendo offered no other details

Nintendo has ended a full year of speculation by confirming that its next console, currently known as “NX,” will be launched worldwide in March 2017.

The company made the announcement as part of its full-year earnings report, which was released this morning. No hard details about the new system were provided, save for the fact that it will be a, “brand-new concept.”

“For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept,” the company said. “NX will be launched in March 2017 globally.”

The NX could prove to be pivotal for Nintendo, arriving at a time when it was ceded virtually all of the ground it gained with the wildly successful Wii. That console’s successor, the Wii U, has been a commercial disappointment, selling just 12.6 million units in three years on the market. To put that in context, the PlayStation 4 reached that figure after a year on sale.

The need for new hardware was also apparent in the company’s balance sheet, which showed a steep decline in profits for the fiscal year ended March 31 2016.

Nintendoomed

The WiiU has been more or less dead for a long time. At least we’re getting a handful of good 3DS games this year.

Gimmie dat controlla

I am looking forward to finding out what they have in store for NX, but it is lame that they are not unveiling it at E3. I will still be happy to see more NX Zelda footage. If it is one thing that Nintendo is good at, it is overcoming the odds, but can they do it yet again? It is somewhat worrying that they commented that the release date was pushed back to Q1 2017 in order to have enough games available at launch.

I’m perfectly fine with Nintendo spending more time on their products. Their last few systems have been rushed and unimpressive. I can wait until 2018 or 2019 as well.

I won’t be getting the Wii U version of Zelda. Waiting a few months for a superior version is no big deal. Besides, there are a dozen other Zelda games I haven’t played yet.

What I want to know is why does this keep happening to Zelda. Do they just hate the series?

Haven’t they been mismanaging every other series lately? I don’t think they have the capacity to make high quality sequels for all their popular series.

Zelda aside, all I really care about is a new Mario Kart

Mario Kart has barely changed since the original SNES release. MK8 was rather drab.

A new 3D Mario would be great for the NX launch.

I loved MK8, the stages were so good, driving felt perfect.

Games Industry | The roadmap for a successful Nintendo console is unclear

As a fan of Metroid, I want to slap Reggie Fils-Aime in his derp face with a Rainbow Trout because that would be very funny.

Nintendo is the new Sega—

Develop | Evidence builds behind disc-less Nintendo NX

Gamasutra | What does Nintendo need to do to make the NX a success?

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Carts wtf

Carts make sense for portable systems.

ready for cartridge comeback