No Man’s Sky

Exploration, combat, and crafting

• No Man’s Sky does not have a traditional story with cutscenes and a predefined hero.
  • Like Minecraft and Terraria, the player creates and defines their own experience.
  • Planets are planet sized. You can spend days exploring just one world, experiencing its day and night cycles while walking its surface or flying through the sky in your spaceship (or jet pack)
  • Once you discover a planet, you can change its randomly generated name to whatever you want. The same goes for any creatures you find on its surface.
  • Although you’re free to do what you want in No Man’s Sky, there are consequences for your actions. If you kill too many creatures or deplete a planet’s valuable resources, your “wanted” level will go up, and the planet’s “Sentinels” will come after you.
  • If you pick a fight in space, the space police will come after you.
  • And if you pick a fight with them, prepare to take on the military.
  • Almost everything in the game can be upgraded: shields, ships, weapons, and even your spacesuit.
  • There are three basic gameplays styles: exploring, trading, and fighting.
  • If you die in the game, you’ll lose any information you did not save to “The Atlus”, a giant computer that records your progress and can be accessed via a planet’s beacons.
  • You can literally craft items on an atomic level by using blueprints you find in the game.
  • Even when the game “ends” (i.e.making it to the center of the galaxy) you can continue to explore worlds for as long as you want.
  • You can share your discoveries online by uploading information to The Atlus, which will allow friends to see everything you’ve discovered in the game.

They nailed the scale. Combat looked dull in the E3 live demo.

I bought it.

I just realized the title is a play on no man’s land.

We pulled a few all-nighters this week in preparation! It was incredibly scary for us, but the moment we saw people start claiming discoveries, shouting and laughing at each other’s screens, we knew the hard work was paying off, and could collapse contentedly in the corner.

They got to see new features like how to survive on hazardous planets and how to learn alien languages, and for the first time we showed off some alien races you will be able to communicate with.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/03/no-mans-sky-launching-june-21st-on-ps4/

It looks like an impressive game to get lost into. I’m getting it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! This was gonna be my summer jam!!! cry

Pushed back to August. :frowning:

looks funky

Could be good when it’s out of Early Access.

I’ll try to keep an open mind while I see how this plays out. You can go anywhere sounds great for people who like mindless sandboxes though.

From what I’m hearing, there isn’t an actual progression system. You explore open space and planets, do crafting and get into spaceship battles. I think that’s about it.

It’s fun in a weird and tranquil way. I’m sure a lot of people will find it boring.

I’m waiting for PC.

Everything I see makes me want to play it. I want to explore and find new things. In fact I’m not sure when or if I’d ever go to the center as finding new and more extreme things sounds more interesting.

I see it as less a game, and more an experience. There will be a lot of duplication when you’ve played a while, but there will always be something way out there that you’d never expect, it just needs to be found.

Powerful videogame journalism

I’m still enjoying the game. I feel the backlash is out-stated and there are plenty of people that continue to enjoy the game.

That isn’t to say that the game doesn’t deserve criticism or that Hello Games and Sean didn’t drop the ball in PR and delivering things they talked about.

I am continually tired with the over entitled gaming communities. It’s one thing to be upset about a game not living up to promised, or even insinuated, form but to go rabid and attack anyone that likes the game and/or attack the developers is just crazy. This isn’t new or specific to gaming, it is just tiring and I feel many people have lost their ability to have reasonable discussions about charged topics. :frowning:

I like it…sure it get’s a bit repetitive in places but I’m enjoying the exploring. Basically farm-upgrade-farm-upgrade and then oh look a new planet that sort of looks like the last one, with most of the same elements, just different colours. I say for a small fry company that they are, fair play to them for it. It can only get better.

And yeah, “gamers” and the “gaming” community often can be quite shit.

Not played it but I hate how it looks, even on a high end PC. The pastel colour palette and repetition of assets (used in slightly different sizes or ways depending on the generation) are really off putting.

There’s so many issues that come with procedural generation, such animating your moving parts on such terrain and making structures sit properly in the environment (seen plenty of buildings float off the ground).

Will be interesting to see what Star Citizen presents today as they’re expected to show off their procedurally generated planets.