Random Gaming & News Talk | Can't find the right thread? Use this one instead!

If it’s only a minor improvement with no exclusive games, and a replacement for the usual Slim model, then I can see them showing it at Gamescom and releasing it together with PS VR in October.

Weird they gave no mention of it at E3

They probably wanted to focus on new games. They skipped hardware completely and barely mentioned sales.

It shows how Sony felt confident enough to show software only. Microsoft’s event needed new hardware to add some buzz. I was surprised to read that code name scorpio will be released later in 2017.

You are exactly right. MS is in a tight position. The Xbox One is not selling as well as the PS4 and they have been continually shit on (both because of themselves and sometimes not deservedly) this generation.

Scorpio is a hail mary pass to try and save the Xbox by doing things a bit differently. Though it is still a new “generation” on the hardware front, because they are making sure all games are playable back and forwards that is new and awesome IMO.

I will give Microsoft credit for turning around an abysmal launch lead up. What a disaster that was.

Heh, I was okay with most of their ideas. Digital only would have been awesome IMO and sharing games as well. I don’t buy disks and definitely not used. Road and well intentions you know.

I was agreeing with you until this reply. There was a reason why their launch was abysmal. Their console felt very restrictive and limiting. There are many others (myself included) who sell and buy used games. Not to mention the fact that you are forced to have always online, making your console useless if you’re not connected. Digital only is also a very touchy subject where you have the publishers telling you that you don’t own the games and not knowing how long your digital versions are valid.

Until there is a better way to introduce digital gaming to consoles, I mostly see no benefits. I have been 90% digital with my vita, and I kinda regret that decision. I fear the day where my games might not work anymore.

I don’t think you’re wrong, I just feel differently. Reality is, physical media will continue to go away and there will be a time where all consoles and PCs don’t release on physical media, though probably not any time soon.

Digital only isn’t terrible, look at Steam sales as an alternative to used games. The potential loss of digital games is a problem, though I’ve only seen games taken down from market places, but never uninstalled/removed from users devices.

Keep in mind MS wasn’t pulling those choices out of nowhere, they were basing them off of how most of their users use their systems. It’s just too early to force something like that, when there is still a large group that would not like that. There is also a very vocal minority in the gaming community that makes it hard for any company to do something different or that they don’t like because they will be flooded with vitriol.

The one huge advantage steam has on digital sales (besides way deeper digital discounts) is that that the platform is theoretically eternal. Even with older games, someone has, somewhere, somehow, made it work on current hardware. With console discs, you at least have the security of almost always (barring erosion and always online games like Destiny) being able to play them.

Speaking of… the Steam SUMMER SALE starts later TODAY. :slight_smile:

…nothing is screaming at me to buy it. #ripsteam

It’s being spammed so hard I couldn’t buy anything if I wanted to.

WAIT NO, THIS ONE!

The Witcher III is really tempting at that price, but fuck, I know it’ll be so much cheaper later…

Help me, Arch. It’s so tempting!

Yes, I don’t think digital only is terrible either. I think it can be something wonderful. They just need to work on it and tweak it some more. If digital gaming can be more or better than Steam as a whole, then I am more open about it.

Should I get Stardew Valley?

yes! 1.1 will be coming soon with even more stuff to do

although, keep in mind the relationship system is very poor, and rural nostalgia isn’t for everyone

If you enjoy the life you have now, don’t get it.

Because the Valley will take your old life, throw it out the window, and make you its bitch.

It’s very addicting.