Random Talk | Say whatever's on your mind

Mostly complete build, have a few add-on cards I’ll be adding and then there is the whole OS setup.

Wow, that motherboard is enormous.

I ended up using two separate computers for Linux and Windows in my new home office. Once I install Synergy it should be a good solution for my needs.

Funny enough I use Synergy for day to day usage with the Windows VM. I have a USB switch for when I play games so I have proper control as Synergy was causing issues with latency and just bad mouse control for FPS games.

I’m very sensitive to input lag, especially when it comes to writing. If I notice any I’ll keep using two separate keyboards.

Non-gaming stuff generally feels fine IMO. It was in BF1 specifically where it became a problem. It was playable but made it feel like my system was halting more than it really was and I assume it was due to CPU starvation for Synergy that caused it to perform so badly. Even still I noticed the difference right away when using direct vs synergy and for FPS it just makes sense to me.

I still use Synergy pretty much any time I can, since it allows me to use my KB/M from my main PC between Linux/Windows and my work laptop.

bless up @chapel

why are matrices so weird

What’s weird about them? I use them all the time and I find them very approachable.

matrix multiplication is way weird and inversion is yuck

at least gauss jordan is super cool

Thank you for sharing this video. All I can think of is how poor the police reacted. Why don’t they take these matters seriously?

They don’t seem to bother with stalkers until physical violence or murder has been committed. That’s awful. It’s incompetence or laziness.

I had the dreaded " I am the one dating your only daughter, sir" conversation with my girlfriend’s dad.
He was very nice. A retired diplomat, so I was nervous as hell.

Did a dinner with him go something like this?

TIL Jibrill is dutch, for some reason I thought he was British :sweat_smile:

A path towards a well-paying career is still looking hazy for me. There are still many math and engineering-related classes to take. Now I understand why other engineers have said that they became quite ill while going through engineering school. My reasons for succeeding are mostly in helping others, though. My family here in the states and many of my relatives in Greece are not doing well at all financially, especially on my mom’s side. I don’t care about myself so much. Just enough to give me a semi-comfortable living, but more importantly, giving money to my family who desperately need money. I try to do that now with the money I’ve saved up, but I can only give so much with my current income. Colleges are job factories. That’s how I view them now. But if I have to concede to that fact, then I can reexamine my motivations in going through the grueling process, and working hard in helping others, and not getting an education and career out of greed or material wealth.

Is there anything useful that I can do with an Android phone that’s not possible on an iPhone? I might get one for free from work, but I’m not sure if I will ever use it. Are there any good exclusive games?

I’m sure @chapel could tell you the ins-and-outs of the Android OS, but from what I gather, you can customize the user interface as you please. iOS is very restrictive in customization of the home screen and such. I can’t think of any exclusive Android games, but neither can I think of any iOS exclusive games, at least none that have caught my eye. Eventually, the majority of the mobile games end up releasing on both platforms, so it’s moot framing that as an argument for going with Android or iOS. I lean towards iOS because I like that it’s a clean and sharp user interface, although I’d probably change my tune if I had a better understanding of customizing the Android’s user interface.

I got a new work laptop, a Dell XPS 15. So far I like it a lot. Hopefully it will play nice with Linux.