The Night My Girlfriend Dissociated and Forgot Who I Was (Vice)

I squeezed her hand and said, “I love you.” She looked at me blankly for a few seconds then turned back to her window. I knew I couldn’t take it personally and tried to rationalise the matter – after all, it wasn’t like she was mad at me and giving me the silent treatment after a fight. She simply didn’t know who I was. In retrospect, it feels a little selfish that I even stopped to consider how her nightmarish ordeal was affecting me, but it was inescapable. It was a deeply and uniquely upsetting situation.

In the eyes of the woman I loved, I was now a stranger. I was crushed.

I couldn’t imagine being on either side of this. I would hope that I could react half as well as he did in this situation. On her side, I wonder what it must feel like to not know someone that supposedly you should.

There was a recent movie with Nicole Kidman that was similar to that disorder, except that her character would forget everything she did on the previous day when she’d wake up in the morning.

That’s a horrific disorder to have. To have your memory be in complete disarray at any time is a scary life to live.