What Podcasts are you listening to?

Podcasts are a great way to pass time on a long commute or when you want to listen to something funny or informative.

I personally listen to quite a few, cycling through a few select ones that are more regular and that I enjoy the most.

Gaming

In honor of Ryan. Miss listening to that man!

Bombcast
One of the classic gaming podcasts. I really enjoy the crew and hearing about their side talk more than the games themselves. The new guy is crazy and I enjoy his insane stories and lifestyle.

Idle Thumbs
This crew has interesting tastes in games and a few of them actually make games. They are socially aware and tuned in to the industry both the press and game dev.

Tech

NodeUp
If you are into programming, especially with Node.js and JavaScript this is a great podcast.

Techzing
Ignore the dumb name, which the hate as well, these two hosts talk about their lives and projects. Iā€™ve been listening for years and really enjoy their conflicting opinions and hearing how their various projects are shaping up.

What podcasts do you listen to?

Player One Podcast
Join ex-game journalists Chris Johnston (ex-EGM), Phil Theobald (ex-GameNow), Greg Sewart (ex-EGM) and their buddy Mike Phillips as they talk about console/portable/PC games, babies, and the meaning of life.

Heā€™s been called a lot of things, but no one says that Dan Carlin is boring. His two long-running podcasts are among the most popular in the world. Part storyteller, part analyst, Carlin has mastered the art of looking at subjects from multiple angles and dissecting and thinking about them in original ways. He isnā€™t afraid to go deep or to inject historical context into modern debates. Whether itā€™s history or current events heā€™s discussing, his passion is contagious, his approach refreshing and his ideas tickle your brain in all the right places. Heā€™ll make you mad too. Youā€™ll like it.

Hardcore History | Episode 53 ā€“ Blueprint for Armageddon IV
Machine guns, barbed wire and millions upon millions of artillery shells create industrialized meat grinders at Verdun and the Somme. Thereā€™s never been a human experience like itā€¦and it changes a generation.

Common Sense
Common Sense with Dan Carlin isnā€™t a show for everyone, and thatā€™s what makes it so great. Itā€™s a smart, deep, passionate, engaging, inquisitive and of course, politically Martian view of news and current events. Thereā€™s nothing else like it.

I used to listen to many more podcasts, but lately Iā€™ve been playing games that demand more of my attention. If Iā€™m playing a slow grindy JRPG or a relaxing puzzle game then I might go back and listen to some of my old favorite shows.

I was listening to Garnett on Games and the John and Garnett podcast, but theyā€™ve stopped doing those because Garnett found a new job. I donā€™t know if John did. I stopped following the Bombcast since Ryan Davis passed away, and I think Vinny Caravella left Giant Bomb as well if Iā€™m not mistaken. The show isnā€™t the same without Ryan anyway.

Bombcast and This American Life.

In no particular orderā€¦

Back In My Play

• Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the games in the present day.

An alternative to Retronauts, because I like to hear/take part in discussion of games gone by.

Giant Bombcast
The Giant Bomb staff discuss the latest video game news and new releases, taste-test questionable beverages, and get wildly off-topic in this weekly podcast.

You know what this is. If you donā€™t, leave and return when youā€™ve educated yourself, peasant.

Good Job, Brain!
Part quiz show, part offbeat news, and all awesome. We here are nuts about trivia and pub quiz! And we are darn sure there are people out there who share our unusual obsession. Play along and laugh along as Karen, Colin, Dana, and Chris school each other on some of the weirdest and most interesting facts about our funny little world.

A weekly trivia podcast crafted by ex-1UP staffer Karen Chu. If you enjoy reading old trivia books or take part in pub trivia or like it when someone gives you random facts that blow your mind, this is your podcast.

Idle Thumbs
A weekly video game podcast full of in-depth discussion and absurdity. Hosted by Chris Remo, Jake Rodkin, Danielle Riendeau, Sean Vanaman, and Nick Breckon.

This is my choice for a ā€œseriousā€ gaming podcast. A fun romp that delves into deeper discussion of gaming news from time to time.

LaserTime
Laser Time is a show featuring folks in the video games industry, although not necessarily about video games. Itā€™s a hyper-silly, multimedia-infused look at film, TV, comics, music, pop culture, and nostalgia from the perspective of people who game for a living. Obviously, their opinions are their own and do not reflect that of their employers.

Pretty much its description. Often off the wall topics that stroke my 80ā€™s/90ā€™s nostalgia bone.

Radiolab
Radiolab is a show about curiosity. Where sound illuminates ideas, and the boundaries blur between science, philosophy, and human experience.

Science! The Podcast! But taught by that cool teacher who practices using GarageBand on the side. An excellent podcast that ranges its topics across the spectrum of sciences and social graces.

ReplyAll
A show about the internet.

As succinct as its description.

Retronauts
The worldā€™s favorite podcast about old video games reaches its next stage! Join Bob Mackey, Jeremy Parish, Ray Barnholt and a variety of guests as they discuss the favorite games and topics of yesteryear.

The only survivor of 1UP Radio. The best podcast discussing video games from the past. Hands down.

Serial
Serial is a new podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial unfolds one story - a true story - over the course of a whole season. The show follows the plot and characters wherever they lead, through many surprising twists and turns. Sarah wonā€™t know what happens at the end of the story until she gets there, not long before you get there with her.

This just completed its first season. It is the only podcast that had me cursing when I accidentally pulled my headphones out. Engrossing and an absolute treat for someone who is able to listen from start to finish. I canā€™t wait to see what Sarah and the rest come up with for season 2.

Lexicon Valley
Lexicon Valley is a podcast about language, from pet peeves, syntax, and etymology to neurolinguistics and the death of languages.

As a linguist, this podcast is absolute ear candy. But donā€™t let this statement turn you off. If you are at all interested in language from any perspective, this is the podcast for you. A ladle of linguistics that will make you question your relationship with language use and comprehension.

Startup
A series about what happens when someone who knows nothing about business starts one.

Alex Blumberg, a correspondent on This American Life and NPRā€™s Planet Money, decides to upend himself from being a producer and start his own podcast company, Gimlet Media. ReplyAll, from earlier, is the first podcast from this company. It is an intriguing look into the fears and successes of starting any business.

The Canon
Film critics Devin Faraci (Badass Digest) and Amy Nicholson (LA Weekly) have a weekly conversation about a movie-- is it ā€œcanonā€ or not? They will put it up to fan vote at the end of the show and then the legacy of each film will be officially decided forevermore.

The argument podcast. These two are fully at each otherā€™s throats about whether these movies should be entered into The Canon, arguing over such things as which Cameron Crowe movie is worthy and which of the six Star Wars movies belong. It is vicious and will force you to reexamine the worthiness of a movie in your own canon.

The Comedy Button
Whatā€™s going on, Internet!? Prepare for some of the most insane rambling about everything from life, to sex, to what passes for 21st-century Internet culture. Your aural canals are ours, and weā€™re running a train on 'em ā€“ courtesy of hosts Brian Altano, Scott Bromley, Anthony Gallegos, Ryan Scott, and Max Scoville. BRAAAP BRAAAP!

This is absolutely a guilty pleasure of mine. Crass, uncaring comedy that flows freely amidst five people who want to simultaneously impress their audience and hate them in the same breath. The 21st Century version of the Brat Pack.

The Vergecast
The Vergecast is your source for an irreverent and informative look at whatā€™s happening right now (and next) in the world of technology and gadgets. Hosted by Nilay Patel alongside a cavalcade of tech luminaries, The Vergecast is the only podcast you need to make sense of the week in tech news. And your life.

My ā€˜techā€™ podcast of choice, mostly because I enjoy how difficult it is to keep it on its rails.

This American Life
Official free, weekly podcast of the award-winning radio show ā€œThis American Life.ā€ First-person stories and short fiction pieces that are touching, funny, and surprising. Hosted by Ira Glass, from WBEZ Chicago Public Media, and distributed by Public Radio International.

Read the description. Listen. Become changed.

We recap the finest podcasts, bringing you the best highlights from great humor to insightful commentary.

The TLDR podcast. Hunt and peck through its RSS feed and enjoy yearly highlights of your favorite podcasts.

Snerk.

Shouldā€™ve posted this here instead.