WYL Games of the Year 2015

#Guidelines

The list
• List a minimum of 3, maximum of 10, new games you played this year from favorite to least favorite.
• 10 points goes to the #1 choice, 9 points goes to #2, and so on and so forth.
• Please post an English translation if you’re going to list a Japanese, Chinese, or Korean title.

What Games Count
• New games released to your region this year.
• Remakes and visible upgrades.
• Revisions and ports released for the first time on a console or handheld this year.
• New expansion packs to MMOs.
• Import games.

What Games Don’t Count
• Old games appearing on services such as GOG, Virtual Console or PSN Classics.
• Unreleased games e.g. beta tests.
• Game collections.

undertale
fallout 4
killing floor 2

in that order
thats like all i bought this year
undertale is da best game ive played in many years tho.

There are a few more games I want to play before I cast my vote. Hopefully they have decent discounts when the Steam sale starts tomorrow.

Killing Floor 2 is multiplayer only, right?

ya it is

Fallout 4
Fallout 4
Fallout 4
Fallout 4
Undertale

1. Super Mario Maker
  2. Life is Strange
  3. FFXIV: Heavensward
  4. Rocket League
  5. Splatoon
  6. Until Dawn

Edit: Expansions count! I should’ve read the rules more closely.

Time limit on this? Still need to play a few games.

Not really. I will post my list in the beginning of next year.

Life is Weird

Think Life is Strange is one of those games that I’m never going to quite get.

Like I can only imagine really being impressed by it if either you were never actually a teenager (unlikely) and/or you’ve never watched one of the many other things that did almost the exact same type of time travel story before it.

Also thought the character dialogue and interaction sounded like it was written by a bunch of male game developers estimating what teenage girls talk like. Oh wait…

I would say it’s less about understanding what it’s like to be a teenager (I don’t understand this perspective at all, that’s a new one) and more that it resonates with you because you were a teenager. No one’s done time travel in a game like LiS before. If one exists that I don’t know about, please let me know because I’d like to play it.

I thought about it some more, you look at modern videogames and be like “Man, I wonder what the experience of being a white man who actually has to face adversity would be like?”

There are times when the game’s writing feels very obvious, but only in terms of dialogue writing and most of that is contained to the first ‘episode’ of the game, it really grew into one of the year’s better games and thus far, the last part of it isn’t betraying that expectation. Where it’s really been strong is developing moments in the context of (sorry to use photography terms) micro and macro moments and how all these little parts feed into bigger parts, it doesn’t neglect more relaxed, but important character developments for big shocks, though it certainly hasn’t lacked for that either. So is it, good, yes, it’s exceptional even once you put aside that occasionally some things characters say remind you of something that’d air on a CW teen drama.

Also the guitar indie song montages I could do without but that’s a fairly superfluous complaint in the scheme of things.

I’m afraid I won’t make it to the minimum of 3 games that were released for this year…

1. Etrian Mystery Dungeon 3DS
  2. Splatoon Wii U

1. The Room Three (iOS) ; This excellent puzzle game surpasses its predecessors. The contraptions you run into are clever and ingenius, but never so challenging that you can’t solve them.
  2. Bloodborne (PS4) ; A fresh update to the “Souls” series. Removing shields and adding shotguns was enough to force me to take another approach to fighting.
  3. Prison Architect (PC) ; Earning money while trying to prevent prisoners killing each other is no easy task.
  4. Rocket League (PS4) ; Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars never clicked with me. I don’t know they changed but this is awesome.
  5. Technobabylon (PC) ; Another great adventure game from Wadjet Eye Games.
  6. Broken Age (PS4) ; Double Fine finally made a great game.
  7. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4) ; Incredible pretty and it would be okay even as a walking sim. The murder mystery story is a great addition.
  8. Metal Gear Solid V (PS4) ; If I had more time it might have ended up higher up on the list. Now I’m stuck doing sidequests in an early chapter.
  9. Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - Tyranid Invasion (iOS) ; Great tactical combat with one of my favorite skins. Shooting tyranids never gets old.
  10. Out There: Ω Edition (iOS) ; A decent replacement for FTL. Perhaps a bit too random.

I didn’t have time to play Her Story, Life is Strange, Invisible Inc., or Massive Chalice, games that I can imagine might have made my top 10.