Discussion and feedback about Discourse

is there a way to disable all of the auto-embeds and ajax crap?

i build this crap for people but i detest it myself, especially on my phone. the last thing i’m ever going to do is go through every post in a thread. skip to the end and post.

I dunno, man. I’m still waiting for the return of the spoiler button. :\

I guess this feature is still here. Interesting.

In general most of the “embeds” are embedded into the post HTML and not fetched at reading time. As far as images, those are handled by the browser as with any other website and do unfortunately affect the reading position. Youtube is not loaded by default, it is actually static and only embedded once you click it.

Discourse doesn’t load everything, in fact it only loads X number (which I think is 25-50 depending on settings and if you’re mobile). So if you were to go to a post number in the middle of a thread, you’d only load X number of posts before after. As you scroll down or navigate in some way does it load more in either direction. You can easily get to the bottom or top with the little post count box in the lower right.

There isn’t a way to disable the Onebox (it is what they call it) unless I were to disable it for everything.

[spoiler] is so hard to type, they changed the button stuff and I haven’t taken the time to update my code to handle it.

Why would it be removed?

I know. I’m just being difficult. GAF’s spoiler button has spoiled (har) me.

I know the videos aren’t embedded but still, the placeholder image still has to be downloaded. but my connection isn’t great so it’s probably just for me.

the postbox is useful. I use it. it’s just…

maybe the whole discourse experience just seems a bit… choppy. maybe it’s because I like to scroll so damn fast.

As an FYI, I know the avatars are low res. I updated the forum software and it broke my modifications. I will fix it when I get a chance. Sorry for the trouble.

Random Talk | Say whatever's on your mind

I thought it was some weird scaling issue with my monitor. Other sites look really funky too.

Thanks, Chap. :slight_smile:

Needed to upgrade, well really I had to rebuild the server image to change email settings which forced an upgrade, and subsequently there is changed styling/settings I have to update our instance for.

Will get to it asap. Sorry for the messed up scrollbar over posts.

Fixed a few of the issues:

• New history/scroll bar on right
  • Show categories again

The history bar is neat.

If you see any other issues, visual or otherwise, let me know.

Oh that’s intentional. Eh, can’t say I’m a fan. It’s like having two scroll bars now.

Well, their reasoning is to maybe get rid of the native scroll bar, but if they don’t it is a better way of showing the total thread and allow navigating anywhere in it. I feel it is a good start.

As in, the user should get rid of their scroll bar or the software will? Because unless websites remove it en masse, I can’t see myself doing it just for Discourse.

No, we can hide the scroll bar in CSS.

That’d be fine.

I do like how that scroll bar (v. the normal one) shows you what post number you’re scrolling to.