Discussion and feedback about Discourse

No, I’m mostly using Windows 8 and Linux Mint.

Do you have a specific set of steps (like the site you are testing with) to replicate this issue?

I can work on getting it fixed whatever the issue (if it is fixable).

So…when are we supposed to stop posting on the other forum?

1. Go to an article, e.g. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-20-enjoying-destinys-quieter-moments
  2. Copy the first four paragraphs with Ctrl+C.
  3. Paste the copied text to a WYL 2.0 reply field. Notice how the formatting is wrong.

How it looks when copying the text directly

"What is Destiny?"
For the longest time, this was the question on everyone’s lips.
Well, it was the question on some lips, anyway. The lips of people who
liked Halo, for instance, and the lips of PlayStation owners who never
got to play Halo, spent years telling anyone who would listen that it
was overrated rubbish, and now suddenly think it was OK. It was a
question on my lips too. Your lips may vary.
And now it’s here and we’re still bickering about what it is. So what makes it so difficult to just come out and call it an MMO?
I’ve been thinking about this a lot over the last week as I’ve
explored the solar system, but the thought has often slipped into the
background because I’ve been too busy just playing the game and enjoying
it. And to be honest, this fact caught me off guard, because Destiny
doesn’t seem like the sort of game I would enjoy.

How it’s supposed to look

“What is Destiny?”

For the longest time, this was the question on everyone’s lips. Well, it was the question on some lips, anyway. The lips of people who liked Halo, for instance, and the lips of PlayStation owners who never got to play Halo, spent years telling anyone who would listen that it was overrated rubbish, and now suddenly think it was OK. It was a question on my lips too. Your lips may vary.

And now it’s here and we’re still bickering about what it is. So what makes it so difficult to just come out and call it an MMO?

I’ve been thinking about this a lot over the last week as I’ve explored the solar system, but the thought has often slipped into the background because I’ve been too busy just playing the game and enjoying it. And to be honest, this fact caught me off guard, because Destiny doesn’t seem like the sort of game I would enjoy.

Does this new site have a user control panel?

What exactly are you looking for? You can access your profile and some other options by pressing the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner.

It seems my edit disappeared. I’m not used to writing on a tiny phone. Click on your avatar (also in the top right corner) to see your profile.

Yeah, exactly what I was looking for. It didn’t look like much because I hadn’t done anything yet :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like the front page. :slight_smile:

When is this taking over the main site?

Man, this site is damned slick! I love it.

It will be taking over Thursday.

I absolutely love Discourse. vBulletin feels so clumsy in comparison. One observation that comes to mind, using the ‘highlighting text to quote a post’ function is better than clicking the ‘reply to post’ button because it’s easier to understand who replied to what. Whenever someone replies to a post, you have to click the reply button every time you want to read what someone wrote. I don’t care for that.

Not sure what you mean here, are you talking about vBulletin or Discourse?

Discourse. I’m referring to the grey rectangle button reading “Reply”, and then the number of replies that post has received before that word. Having to click that each time you want to read the replies to that specific post is a hassle.

You understand that doesn’t exist in vBulletin. It is to help add context to a reply but optional to those reading it to understand it.

http://wastingyourlife.co/forums/on-topic/announcements.html

If you haven’t thought of it already, I suggest you redirect the old vBulletin forum to archive.wastingyourlife.co and the new one to the root domain. We could wait a few weeks if you want to give the users a chance to readjust to the new interface.

As I mentioned in slack, I plan on putting something else at the root domain. I don’t want to host Discourse under /forum either. Though I do plan on moving the old site to something like archive, I want to make sure it won’t break it as well.

Can i suggest losing the suggested topics thing at the bottom? Seems somewhat superfluous.

Also i can see edit registries, am i secretly a mod or are those meant to be public?

The suggested topics take up a lot of vertical space. On the other hand it’s really convenient to have all the recently updated threads there. Instead of having to open up multiple tabs, like I usually do, I can just click on one of the topics in that list.