What are y'all playing? ver 2.0

Chap getting married, Arch having his first kid, life is good for WYL :smiley:

Happy New Year everybody!!

How do I use my knife when they are down?

I just burned one with kerosene to prevent it from returning.

Stand over them, aim down and knife them.

Seems simple enough. Iā€™ll give it a try.

Resident Evil Remake? Congrats.

I donā€™t know why, Iā€™ve been looking through my PSP collection and found Crash Bandicoot 3ā€¦Somehow I decided to play the game and the third world is almost complete (out of 5) :thinking: If things continue this way then Iā€™ll be done with the game in 2 days.

Itā€™s Crash, very samey if you played the previous 2. Only more polished and still addictive.

To add more to the aboveā€¦Iā€™ve had more time to play games for the past 2-3 days or so. Iā€™ve been mostly busy with 3 games:

Crash Bandicoot 3 (PSP)
Itā€™s a game I played before with my brother long time ago. I donā€™t remember much of it, not even sure if we completed it together but I have played Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2 on the PSP years ago. It was time to play the third game and give my overall impression.

As mentioned previouslyā€¦it is very familiar if you played Crash Bandicoot games. Naughty Dog tried to add variety with different type of levels that werenā€™t in the previous games. Most of these levels are mostly when you play with Coco (the blond girl). Those levels are appreciated and needed because the rest feels too familiar. At certain point I wasnā€™t sure whether Crash Bandicoot 3 adds any improvements to Crash Bandicoot 2. Then again, that game was also incredibly polished and fun to play. I think that some of the bosses were from previous Crash Bandicoot games but I might be wrong on the that. The monkey boss mentioned previous defeat.

Besides that though, the game is golden. Itā€™s so fun to play and I always tell myself one more level before quitting and then it ends up being more. I have 21 of the 25 crystals which means that I am close to finishing the game. There are many collectibles and secret gems though. I can see myself playing more of this after completing the main story. Also, Iā€™m not sure if Crash Bandicoot 2 had this, but in this game, you learn new moves once you defeat bosses. You can also chain moves to have new skills that are helpful in the levels. I enjoy this aspect.

I am almost done with the base gameā€¦so I should be able to have a favorite from the trilogy. 1 is the least. That one was more rough around the edges and the save system was very irritating. But itā€™s difficult to choose between 2 and 3. They seem to be on par. 2 might be more memorable for being the first to be polished and bring standards but that doesnā€™t say much about the quality of 3. It seems that it was a good idea that Naughty Dog left the franchise after the trilogy and the racing game because there isnā€™t much to add to it.

Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP)
According to my savefile, Iā€™ve played 24 hours of this games since October 2009. After playing Crash this was in my PSP. I always leave it and come back for it. The game is interesting and different. That was the case when it was released and it still is the case today. I always feel like there is so much to do and you need to invest time with it before you get all that it has to offer in terms of customization and options. Yesterday I played a little bit of the story mode to get familiar with the controls. Iā€™m not sure whether I will continue playing this. Normally I get easily distracted by other games. I do want to continue with it though. It has an interesting mix of a unique battle system with RPG customization options and Super Smash type of fighting game with the full on fanservice for the fans and the attention/care that was given to the characters.

Infinite Undiscovery (Xbox 360)
I played with this 2 days ago. I died and lost a bit of progress :frowning: Apparently I am in the last dungeon. So I should be done with it soon if I give it some time and survive long enough to beat it. Expect more impression after completing this one.

Alrightā€¦Iā€™ve had more time to play games for the past few days (almost a week). Itā€™s been the same three games. One has finally been completed, one is technically complete and the third has a lot of content.

Completed Game:
Infinite Undiscovery

Iā€™ve spoken about this game multiple times. So this time it wonā€™t be a deep analysis, just an overall impression. Itā€™s crazy how my opinion of the game changed dramatically. I used to dislike it so much. By the time I completed it, I really enjoyed it. Itā€™s an interesting game that kept my attention for the most part. It feels like I am left more positive about Infinite Undiscovery than Blue Dragon and the Lost Odyssey. Maybe itā€™s the high expectation for the former 2 games. But I think it is also Infinite Undiscovery feeling more fresh and doing its own thing that has kept it interesting. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey felt like copies of FF and DQ games. This does not mean that Infinite Undiscovery is perfect. You can tell that they ran out of budget near the end (heavily re-used assets, mouth animation missing with one character). The story also had good twists and characters improved greatly compared to the early parts. The ending did raise some questions though how did Capell manage to return to his planet? Didnā€™t he sacrifice himself to break the chain on the moon? And will the Aristos wake up one day?

Semi-Completed Game:
Crash Bandicoot 3 (83%)

You can complete the main story by collecting 25 crystals (around 50% of the progress). If you want the true ending, there are still gems to collect and relics to win. You can unlock 5 additional levels through the relics. Iā€™m not fan of the relics btw. You know, complete levels as soon as possible. I am trying to get as much as possible but will not force myself to do 105%.

Currently Playing:
Dissidia Final Fantasy

Almost clocked 30 hours. The stories of certain characters have been completed the first time (Cloud and Tidus). I started with Zidane and the stories of Bartz and Terra are left. The stories can never be completed fully the first time but you can easily skip certain parts if you want to. It has been a very nostalgic experience hearing Tidus with the same style from FFX (thinking to himself with the same voice actor), remixed soundtrack and the story continuing about his conflict with his father. The story mode is done really well. It is fighting opponents but you do so through a map that costs moves. You have to decide carefully how to use your moves. You can gain moves through defeating opponents with certain conditions. The characters level up, learn new skills and equip accessories & equipment. The battle system itself is really fun and very different from other fighting games. The more I play of it, the more I get better at it and want more.

This game feels very special. It is polished, voice acting is good (better than what SE has been doing lately), fanservice is on point, gameplay is well though out, there is a lot to unlockā€¦Iā€™m in loveā€¦

Itā€™s been years since Iā€™ve played Infinite Undiscovery, but I remember a couple of things about it: the fun hack-and-slash battle system and the intriguing story of breaking gigantic chains. A lot of people seemed to have hated it, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I understand the hatred. Certainly if some only play a few hours and form impressions based on that. At one point I was ready to drop the game with how cliche and annoying the story was. But it is indeed enjoyableā€¦itā€™s a shame many did not give it a chance. I know a friend who also gave up on it when he still had an Xbox 360.

greatest title next to integrity and faithlessness

Time for more games. I left out one game that I have also been playing here and there. It has already been completed :slight_smile:

Completed Games:
Mega Man 1 (Mega Man Legacy Collection 3DS)
Crash Bandicoot 3 (85%)

Somehow I forgot to mention Mega Man 1. The Legacy Collection was on sale recently. Paying around ā‚¬7 for 6 Mega Man games that I never played should be worth it. It should be noted that as far as Mega Man games go, I only played Mega Man Powered Up (completed) and Battle Network 1. I wasnā€™t planning on starting with the collection but my curiosity got the better of me. It turned out to be a good idea thanks to the save state ability. You can save at any point in the game and load your progress straight away when you want to. I wouldnā€™t have bought the collection if that wasnā€™t the case. Mega Man 1 is not necessarily difficult. There are some parts that can be cheap or brutal. It is the fact that you rarely get lives and you have to start from scratch if you mess up is what makes it frustrating. Something that I donā€™t have time for anymore. This has made Mega Man 1 a very pleasant game to play in short bursts. Mega Man Powered Up is a remake of Mega Man 1. So while certain parts were similar to Mega Man Powered Up, it still feels different enough and worth playing. I didnā€™t realize how precise Mega Man games can be. The levels were enjoyable and I liked the soundtrack. I feel I got a good taste of what Mega Man games can offer. Iā€™m looking forward to playing the other 5 games in the future. The port is not great btw. There is some slowdown, weird effects in the stages and more such issues. The game is still playable but itā€™s unfortunate how the collection was not treated with more care. I did enjoy the Museum and Database modes though! Especially when you can read them in other languages.

Crash Bandicoot 3 is a fun game. As mentioned before though, Iā€™m not fan of collecting relics by running through the levels with a timer. It became clear that some levels would became annoying. I decided to leave the game before it got ugly.

New Game:
Spyro The Dragon (PSN/PSP)

Yep, stopping Crash allowed me to start with the first Spyro game. I have a different history with the Spyro trilogy. While I played Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 a lot in my childhood, I remained distant with Spyro games. I remember playing a demo of Spyro 1 and not being interested enough. It was mostly being lost in the first hub world and not understanding the objective of the levels. As a child, that was apparently too much to ask :sweat_smile:

This means that I know little about Spyro games and the lore created. I can say that I am mostly impressed now that I have played Spyro 1. I also didnā€™t realize how faithful the GBA Spyro game is compared to Spyro 1. I completed Spyro Season of Ice not too long ago. It was enjoyable for the most part even with the flaws it has. The structure of the game along with the collectibles is similar to Spyro 1.

Spyro 1 was released in 1998, while Crash Bandicoot 1 was released somewhere in 1996. You can tell that the 2 years difference has been put to good use. Many of the mistakes made with Crash Bandicoot 1 were not found in Spyro 1. The biggest issue being the save system. Here you can save pretty much at any point. Not just in the hub worlds but also in the levels themselves and even in the different checkpoints within the levels. It is a bit unfortunate that you canā€™t continue with the checkpoints you saved from if you quit the game though. You start with the first checkpoint of the level/world you saved at with your progress intact. This is just being greedy though because itā€™s still miles ahead of what other PS1 games offer in terms of convenience.

So this being a good first impressionā€¦there are other things that impressed me about the game. The hub world and levels are huge. The levels feel more like mini sandbox levels. The way Spyro controls is unique. They nailed how a dragon feels in terms of animation, movement and the skills that come with a dragon. You feel like they put a lot of attention to the way Spyro runs or glides. It makes exploring Spyro with mini sandbox levels very enjoyable. The way Spyro interacts with other dragons also adds to the personality of the game. All the dragons are voiced along with Spyro himself.

My progress is 24% at the moment. I really liked what I tried even with the one flaw that I had. The camera is very annoying. Changing it from passive to active has helped after getting used to it though. So I think I wonā€™t be having issues with it anymore.

Lately Iā€™ve mostly been playing PS+ freebies.

Azkend 2: The World Beneath is pretty good match-at-least-three puzzle game. All levels in the campaign are timed and you can unlock various power-ups. In the most common game mode you have to flip all tiles on the game board by making a match. Reaching the edges of the board can be a bit tricky. It also took me some time to get used to the movement of hexagonal tiles.

I donā€™t think I ever finished Day of the Tentacle as a kid and I was excited for the remastered version. While the UI has been improved it can still be a chore to navigate all the possible item options. I played through the second half of the game using a FAQ. The puzzles arenā€™t that difficult, but just navigating through a large world takes more time than I was interested in spending.

I heard from a friend that Titan Souls is supposed to be like Dark Souls but 2D. So far I havenā€™t seen any progression system or common enemies, only boss fights. All you have is a dodge roll button and a single arrow. Once you have fired it you have to retrieve it before you can fire again. The first two bosses were really challenging but also fun. I havenā€™t figured out of to damage the third one yet. Iā€™ll give it another try tonight.

Thatā€™s how the original games were. The same bugs were kept the same. In a strange way, those bugs are part of the identity of the 8-bit Mega Man games, so I wouldnā€™t have it any other way. Although, if you donā€™t have any nostalgia for the NES games, then you wouldnā€™t feel that way.

Oh really? I had no idea. Iā€™ll try and keep that in mind with the other 5 Mega Man games.

I love Mega Man II. But itā€™s recently been replaced with MMV as my favorite.

MMV? Mega Man Victory? :neutral_face:

Lately it has mostly been one game with another game played once.

Currently Playing
Spyro the Dragon (78%)
Forza Motorsport 3 (year 2)

Iā€™m still largely positive about Spyro the Dragon. Every world has 1 flying section, 3 regular levels and 1 boss. With the flying sections, you have to release fire on different objects before the timer runs out. Itā€™s more fun than it sounds. Boss levels also have a little bit of platforming before engaging bosses.

The levels have the right amount of collectibles, donā€™t overstay their welcome and difficulty is ramping up. The style of the levels are not your typical fire and ice levels. Even though levels can be bland from design standpoint, the style keeps them interesting, not knowing what to expect next. One exception is the level Tree Tops. It was little bit irritating trying to figure out how to reach 2 areas. Tree Tops is the only level that has caused frustrations.

Iā€™m not sure if I have written about Forza Motorsport 3 on WYL before. I started playing this game months ago while I was still playing Infinite Undiscovery. I was bored with the gameplay, then started enjoying it a bit more. Iā€™m enjoying it even more now.

It has to do with my lack of experience with those type of racing games. I was trying to play it like a regular racing game, thinking the objective is only reaching the first spot. Not having any knowledge about upgrading parts manually (and still) also takes part of the enjoyment away. The controls were difficult when I first tried the game. This has led me to turn all assists on. After a while, this made the game boring which led me to turn one assist off. Making it more engaging. My current strategy is turning assists off slowly every time I get better at it.

The objective off the game (besides reaching first spot) is avoiding damage. You get more XP which you can use to buy and upgrade cars. Iā€™m starting to get into buying cars for different classes that can be used for all the events besides ā€˜story modeā€™. Events are basically missions where you are only allowed to race with certain conditions. You have to buy a car by an Asian manufacturer or of a certain class etc.

Playing it on first person mode can be relaxing. The graphics are pretty and realistic too. I can now see fans of cars really enjoying Forza Motorsport games. Iā€™m curious about what the game has to offer and hopefully it will remain engaging.

Downwell (PC) is a awesome little game where you work your way down a well killing or dodging enemies. Random power-ups and shops will help you out throughout your journey downwards. For some stupid reason the developers decided to map the jump/shoot key to right shift and it will trigger a Windows sticky key message during intense sections. They also forgot to give players the ability to remap keys.

I downloaded a bunch of games to my 64GB Vita memory card. The first one I fired up was Street Fighter X Tekken (PSV). It plays like Street Fighter and has a ridiculous roster with more than 50 characters. The story mode is low budget and once I found a tag team that worked well it didnā€™t take me many minutes to reach the end credits.

Warhammer 40,000: Regicide (PC) is a hybrid between chess and SRPG. You can either kill your foes with chess moves, or attack them with bolters, grenades, or special powers. It seems quite promising, but Iā€™m going to hold off playing it more until the developers have finished revamping their online services.

Iā€™m about halfway through a solo White Mage run of Final Fantasy 1 (Earth and Water orbs lit). Iā€™m actually a bit embarrassed at how much time Iā€™ve spent on it.

The thing that pains me post is all the missed experience for the bottom three.

A solo white mage run of the original version of FFI? Damn. Thatā€™s pretty hardcore.

As in Mega Man 5. Mega Man 2 through 6 are displayed as Mega Man II, Mega Man III, Mega Man IV, Mega Man V, and Mega Man VI on the original box art and title screens.