What are y'all playing? ver 2.0

Yep, it’s fantastic.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) is great with exception for some parts of the story. The framerate is capped at 60 during gameplay and 30 in cutscenes so it wasn’t a good choice for testing the limits of my new graphics card.

great game…be sure to listen to those diaries…

I should replay that game, at the time what i liked the most about it is that it felt like a game made to skip over a decade of FPS games and instead evolve from something released fifteen years back. It had the kind of obvious smarts and, uh, self esteem that was super rare when it released. Don’t know how i would feel about it now.

So, I’m ‘done’ with The Witcher 3. I’ll avoid spoiling things, as much as I can. I say I’m ‘done’, because there’s still an absolutely enormous amount of things to do, but more importantly, things that feel worth the time do them after the main plotline. The writing is masterclass stuff for this genre of game, even small, unimportant quests that boil down to killing some guys/monsters tend to have interesting people, and interesting decisions to make… an example - Novigrad, the third major zone of the game has a shady merchant who sells passes of safe conduct so you can pass into novigrad, his price is steep, you can simply hypnotize him or you can help his brother in law fend off some necrophages for a steep discount. After you get to the area, you realize the ‘company’ you’re helping is a bunch of battlefield robbers, and you can turn away at that point if you don’t want to help that, if you do, and the brother dies, you then have to find a new way to get across to novigrad. The game is loaded with little interactions between small tasks that might those otherwise fairly menial RPG chores really interesting, and things you look to do. There are problems, but I hardly care about the game’s issues, because TW3 is to this point, one of the best games I’ve played in years, and perhaps more amazingly, it seems to have so much more to offer after the tangents and primary bits of the globe-trotting main quest.

Skellige <3

I’ve kept playing Dead Space and it’s still pretty cool, even if i’m sort of getting the feeling that nothing’s going to change for the 12 or whatever hours it takes… like everything has been so samey for the five hours i’ve played that i’ve given up on ever doing something very different. Reached the “let’s hope that’s the last we see of him” monster which i’m sure will make another appearance. Still really love the look of the ship, the raw metallic look of every room in the game that makes the ship look like the inside of a big engine. The sound design is also very cool, the sounds of the holographic interactions mixed with the metallic sounds of the ship and the organic sounds of the monsters are really amazing and create give the world a lot of depth and volume (not in the acoustic sense, but the narrative sense).

Really enjoying myself and super excited to play the sequel.

Honestly, Dead Space?

It becomes so easily predictable after a short amount of time, there’s no real grasp of pace or actual tension, just things popping up in patterns that are easily predicted (through vents and under corpses most of the time) Also, your weapons are ridiculously powerful for a horror game. You can kill most enemies by just upgrading the starting weapon.

I really enjoyed the first two Dead Space games with the exception for the lore and story. There was potential there but they lost my interest along the way.

I finished Wolfenstein today and now I need something else to play. Maybe I should go back to Persona 5 or Zelda.

I’m easily scared!

Also it’s more that i’m really into the fantasy of the world where this kind of place and horror comes from, so it’s more that i like the idea (or ideas) of Dead Space than necessarily its execution. Like, the idea that humans live and work in this incredibly hostile and claustrophobic space ship that was invented to break a planet open and eat it up. I think that’s fantastic. Not that things went wrong, or that there’s an organic horror infesting this artificial structure as if the meat of the workers itself is revolting against it, although that’s also something i like, but that the interior of the ship is already full of holes, metallic edges, open dangers, easy access to super dangerous places, etc. So one thing that really keeps me going is how they keep having new and cool ways of showing that. There’s that one bit where you’re zero g going upward through a handful of rooms that bend slightly so that it feels like you’re moving through this nightmare spine-like corridor that was never intended to be friendly to the humans that operated the ship. And because pretty much all the interaction you have with the world is through physically searching for a proper way to see things (even things as small as adjusting your camera and body to see your health or inventory) keeps me in a state of mind that keeps searching for the visual language of the game. Even something as going through a small room whose walls look like breathing heat vents is really cool to me and imo shows how strongly they trusted the artists and environmental design to create the fantasy they were going for.

And the lady that talks in the bathrooms is a really neat detail that enforces that feeling that the ship somehow wants to see the humans suffer.

It is pretty indebted to the Alien movies, Carpenter’s The Thing, and Event Horizon(already derivative, not actually good) but I was really sucked into the whole miserable, dirty and industrial horror of the Dead Space universe, enough to carry me through a lot of repetition.

More games have been completed on the 3DS:

Toki Tori (normal mode)
Hyrule Warriors (Legend mode on normal)

Toki Tori has an interesting gameplay. While it looks like a platformer being able to move a character through different levels, it is a puzzle game where you are tasked to collect all eggs with the help of tools. Depending on the level, you can only use tools a number of times before you won’t be able to use them anymore. It involves lots of thinking to use tools effectively and experimenting what you own. Luckily there is a rewind/forward feature where you can return or forward time whenever you feel you messed up. Some levels can be tricky but it feels very rewarding to solve them . I’m currently trying to do the hard levels, they are entirely different from the normal mode levels. This game is definitely worth a look.

I’m truly in love with Hyrule Warriors. I’m not sure whether it’s the Legend of Zelda universe that works so well with the formula, or the devs doing a great job. It’s incredibly satisfying controlling fanservice characters thanks to their animations and distinct combo’s they have. While I haven’t completed many Dynasty Warriors games, I think it’s going to be difficult for other DW games to make me so engaged with their universe/setting. The game does a lot of things right: signature items are used properly (bombs, arrows, hookshot etc), you have gold skultulas (they appear after certain conditions have been met), fairies to collect (use their powers during fights), remixed zelda tunes etc.There is so much content left…I’m still actively playing the game, advancing with Adventure mode and maybe interested in doing Legend mode on hard. But it’s a huge time sink. I will try to give other games more priority to clear my backlog.

I have focussed mostly on those games, less on Zelda OOT and BOTW. Perhaps I will continue with them after such a long break.

Toki Tori is always super cheap too

Indeed, it can be found around €2 on the 3DS eshop. I even got it during a sale around €1,60 :sweat_smile:

…and finished (for cereal this time). Missed a good card though.

Is that Yen?

Why yes, it is.

But I like to pretend it’s Bayonetta.

Completed Game
Toki Tori 3D (hard mode)

Hard mode levels were tons of fun, but some of them were a bit challenging. I had to make use of a guide to complete some of them. I reckon the game would have been more frustrating if there wasn’t any guide. Regardless though, the game is absolutely worth it. There is a lot of value for the price that’s being asked.

Currently Playing
Zelda OOT 3D
Forza Motorsport 3

I actually only played Zelda OOT once for the past week or two. It was just doing the Water Temple. I remember hearing how this dungeon annoyed many gamers in the past. It had to do with changing equipment by going to the menu constantly. I don’t remember being annoyed by this when playing the gamecube version, and I wasn’t annoyed at all with the 3DS version. Since they changed the item’s function in such a way that you can equip it or de-equip it with a single button. Very convenient!

Forza Motorsport 3 is a game that I’ve played for a while, not enjoying it much, then slowly enjoying it and finally stopped playing it for some reason. I was planning on giving the game one final chance and ended up continuing with it for now.
The game is very impressive in many aspects: the graphics are gorgeous, there are many cars to choose from, they are satisfying to control, you have many options to change the difficulty in a way that suits you, you can customize to your hearts content etc.
What always gives me a hard time playing this for a langer period is how it drags and feels grindy. It is different factors that add up. You have tracks that keep getting repeated without seeing new ones for a while, when you race there are races that have too many laps which add to the length of each race, loading times are incredibly long that I end up reading something in between, according to the event list there are 220 events, each event can have different races with long laps. This is very discouraging to think how long it would take to complete all of them and how repetitive the game would feel after doing many of them. The licensed soundtrack is very lackluster.
Despite all of this, I do enjoy the gameplay. I started having a routine where I do about 1-2 events a day and play less when an event is too long. Although there are 220 events, I imagine that most of them are optional since you only have 6 years in the season mode (the main ‘story’ mode). In the season mode you select an event between a championship race as a cool down period. I don’t know if the game will keep its interest but the plan is to at least complete season mode and then decide whether I feel like doing the rest of the events. I’m enjoying the gameplay so much, even more than before. It’s a very rewarding feeling when you keep getting better and driving different cars.

New Game
Box Boy (Eshop/3DS)

I expected to focus on the 2 Zelda games heavily after completing certain games, but it turned out that I need a bit more time to get into Zelda again. Recently I have completed many eshop 3DS games. I had none left on my backlog. I’ve noticed the need to have at least one bite sized game between other big games. The choice fell on Box Boy as I enjoyed playing its demo and it’s a perfect pick up and play experience. It is another puzzle slash platform game (mostly puzzle), only in black and white and with its own distinctive style. This is a Hal Laboratory game from the guys that make Kirby I believe. I’ll talk more about this in the future.