Discussion and feedback about Discourse

I just realized you all were talking about pt and not px. So some insight into web font sizes if you weren’t aware.

They can be defined as either:

• pixels: literal pixel height, font-size: 14px is equal to 14 pixels high on the screen
  • points: equivalent to system level font sizing, but only to be used with print
  • em: these are tricky, they represent the multiplier of the parent font size, by default browsers use 16px font size, so 1em would equal 16px

For me, 12px is much too small (and equivalent to 9pt), and Discourse was not made for that small of a font. I am thinking about how I can revamp the theming on here to be even more unique and simple as we expect. Part of that is thinking about font sizes and element sizes used throughout the site. It isn’t a small task, so something I am still thinking about.

I have it set to 1.05em at the moment, with a base of 14px (10.5pt), makes it around 15px (11pt). So if you want 12pt, it is pretty damn close.

I have copying issues with every single site which makes posting new threads a chore since I have to copy the text through a text editor.

Here are a few examples:

Gamasutra http://gamasutra.com/view/news/238236/Im_still_creative__Game_industry_vets_rally_against_ageism.php

What I get:

“Hello. My name is David, and I’m a quinquagenerian.”

Game industry veteran
David Mullich kicked off a panel discussion on game industry ageism
today at the 2015 Game Developers Conference like he was introducing
himself at a group therapy session.

It was a light-hearted way to address an insidious problem.

What I want:

Game industry veteran David Mullich kicked off a panel discussion on game industry ageism today at the 2015 Game Developers Conference like he was introducing himself at a group therapy session.

Basically, newlines are introduced where they shouldn’t be (see the second paragraph).

Another example from BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-31784339:

What I get:

The announcement was made in Cuba, where both sides have been engaged in peace talks for more than two years.
Under the deal, Farc rebels will work alongside members of the military to remove the landmines and other explosive devices.
Colombia is one of the most heavily mined countries in the world.
More than 11,000 people have been injured or killed by landmines in Colombia over the past 15 years.

Here, paragraph breaks are incorrectly replaced by tabs.

What I want:

The announcement was made in Cuba, where both sides have been engaged in peace talks for more than two years.

Under the deal, Farc rebels will work alongside members of the military to remove the landmines and other explosive devices.

Colombia is one of the most heavily mined countries in the world.

More than 11,000 people have been injured or killed by landmines in Colombia over the past 15 years.

Copying the text to any text editor (or a service like shrib.com) before pasting it to WYL will give the text the correct formatting.

Chrome OSX:

Game industry veteran David Mullich kicked off a panel discussion on game industry ageism today at the 2015 Game Developers Conference like he was introducing himself at a group therapy session.

Firefox to Chrome OSX:

Firefox OSX:

Game industry veteran
David Mullich kicked off a panel discussion on game industry ageism
today at the 2015 Game Developers Conference like he was introducing
himself at a group therapy session.

Chrome to Firefox OSX:

“Hello. My name is David, and I’m a quinquagenerian.”Game industry veteran David Mullich kicked off a panel discussion on game industry ageism today at the 2015 Game Developers Conference like he was introducing himself at a group therapy session. It was a light-hearted way to address an insidious problem.

So what I can identify here is that this is specific to Firefox. I will post about this on Discourse Meta.

Bug is reported, should be taken care of as soon as possible. If I get some time in the next two weeks, I may take a look at it myself.

Ruby, eh? I’ve never tried it before, but it looks quite pretty.

http://discourse.wastingyourlife.co/users?period=all

Testing?

No, was sharing. It is an early feature in the current beta release.

I’m always fond of statistics.

Oh! That looked way different on my phone, over there it’s just a list of users, at least on iOS.

I love giving hearts, apparently. <3

We need an option to disable emoticons because of THIS MONSTROSITY: :stuck_out_tongue:

Purge it from this dimension. I use “:P” at the end of my sentences a lot, but I stop myself here because of that… hideous creature!

The emojis could use some work I think. I too shy away from using them because they all look a bit too silly.

You realize that I can change them at any time. There are multiple sets.

:fish:

I liked the old WYL ones.

Maybe someday. I did hand craft some of those. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you able to add a “disable emoticons” option though? vBulletin had it in user settings. I prefer ASCII-style smileys anyway.

respekt

@leo @LabouredSubterfuge You both asked at one time or another how to make the new/unread work similar to the old forum. I found a combination of settings that will work for that, and also works retroactively.

1. Set Automatically track topics I enter to always.
  2. Set Consider topics new when to I haven't viewed them yet
  3. Add On Topic and Gaming to Tracked

Then when you go to the New tab or Unread tab, you will have anything you haven’t read. Though there can be threads that aren’t tracked that you’ve viewed already, if there is a new post and you enter them, they will become tracked from then on.