What are y'all playing? ver 2.0

Started out with Rocket League.

I can see what all the fuss is about.

It took me way too many hours but I finally beat Bravely Second. Now I need to find some other portable game to play.

Iā€™m also playing the new Magic Duels expansions. The cards from Shadows over Innistrad are pretty fun.

My buddies and I just had a goddam 11 hour long booster draft last night, with the new SOI pack.

I hosted, took 3rd place, had a blast. Going to turn my drafted vamp deck into a standard deck.

How much was spent collectively?

8 guys split a $95 box of 36 booster packs. Everybody starts with 3 packs, and you open them up one at a time, in rounds. Everybody picks one card from their booster, passes it on, and you keep doing that with all the packs until you make a 40 card deck out of that. That leaves 12 packs for a nice prize, split among the top 4.

A Virus Named TOM (PSV) was recently given out as a PS+ freebie. You need to connect all the circuits by rotating them while dodging antivirus enemies. I used to love Pipe Dream and this is quite similar.

I thought BioShock had a mini-game of that sort as well. Pipe Dream is great.

So i bought that Darksiders pack and played a little bit of Darksiders right now. So strange to be just now realizing how fond i am of those early PS3 gen games, lots of terrible names but often hiding a lot of spirit and ambition underneath. Darksiders is actually pretty fun, even the simplistic combat has its own complexity and momentum. The art that back then felt very derivative and complacent can now revel in its charm and dedication.

It makes me think of something else actually, something that i come to again and again, that games can take a loooooong time to be fully appreciated, like years upon years and even decades sometimes. Games donā€™t really have that culture of letting design aspects simmer for a very long time, a lot of things are constantly being reworked and rethought, culturally and communally which makes any given point in time very indistinct form itself, but seen in isolation, years after release, a lot of old games can showcase a lot of unseen merit.

Thought Darksiders was a surprisingly good Zelda/Metroid/Castelvania-style game. Kinda came out of nowhere.

I have never played a 3D Zelda/Metroid/Castlevania that I liked. Maybe I should install Darksiders. I added it to my Steam account years ago.

Bayonetta was a great introduction to everything in store for Bayonetta 2. The characters, setting, boss battles, and mechanics. While enjoyable Bayonetta always felt like it lacked something. And whatever that was Bayonetta 2 added to it. From all the different weapons you can acquire to the moves you can buy and combos you can pull this is THE game that should have been the GOTY for 2014. While this game feels more ā€œset pieceā€ driven it does so at a great pace. It never felt like it dragged in certain places like Bayonetta did. I would liken the pace to that of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Platinum Games earlier effort. The story is really outrageous but if you played Bayonetta I feel you have a good sense of what youā€™re in store for. As for the difficulty, I played the game in 3rd Climax which I guess itā€™s the gameā€™s equivalent of ā€œHardā€ I certainly felt really challenged. Certainly not as much as when I played Bayonetta just because I already knew the game mechanics. I was able to get a few platinums but I mostly got Silver and Golds with a few bronzes. Also the Nintendo easter eggs are awesome. From the costumes to the Star Fox easter egg. I definitely recommend this game if youā€™re a fan of the first game and have a WiiU. Much fun will be had with this title. Also thereā€™s a Co-Op mode that I have yet to try only because it requires online and I donā€™t know if itā€™s still alive. 10/10 Wicked Weaves

Iā€™m now halfway through A Virus Named TOM and itā€™s no longer just a Pipe Dream clone. A lot of new cool ideas have been added. There are pieces you canā€™t rotate, pieces that are dangerous, pieces that are invisible unless you connect them the correct way, you need to collect more time by graze dodging enemies, etc. It got so intense this morning I nearly missed my stop.

Oh man, iā€™m finally about to enter Xenogearā€™s final dungeonā€¦ what a ride!

ShĆ¼tshimi (PS4) is a randomized shoot 'em up. Stages are very short and you get to quickly select a modifier between each stage. Some are awesome power ups, other messes with you by e.g. reversing the controls or flipping the screen upside down. Overall it feels quite basic and itā€™s not very fun.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (3DS) is a turn-based strategy game with a steam theme. The combat system is similar to Valkyria Chronicles. So far it has a bit heavy on shooting and a bit light on strategy and role-playing mechanics.

The new Ratchet & Clank (PS4) is great. I never played the old PS2 games so it is a brand new experience to me.

I was watching a friend stream Ratchet & Clank. It is a beautiful looking game.

I have been playing Zelda Majoraā€™s Mask for the 3DS. Iā€™m now in a state of vindication. After more than 10 years since the last time Iā€™ve played the original N64 game, I have gotten further into the Great Bay Temple. The water dungeon in Zelda games is infamously known for being harder than the other dungeons, and thatā€™s especially the case for MM, however, now that Iā€™m much older, I have realized that it isnā€™t that hard. You just have to go back and forth a lot, travelling through underwater passages. I recall the Great Bay Temple for the N64 version being more challenging, which makes me think that they made it easier for the 3DS version.

Obsidian Entertainment made a new game called Pathfinder Adventures. There are tons of gameplay mechanics but Iā€™m starting to get the hang of it.

This may be a dumb question but how many players is it? If itā€™s 1 is it still fun?

Not a dumb question at all. I provided almost no information about it.

Itā€™s a single player RPG with card combat. You select a scenario (could be a town or region), a mission (defeat the bad guy), and select a party of heroes.

At each location there is a ā€œlocation deckā€ that contains enemies, loot, traps and other obstacles that you need to overcome. Each hero has a deck with weapons, armor, allies, tools, blessings and whatever else you might need to clear a location. Dice are used to determine the outcome of all events. By using your cards wisely you can change the odds to your favor.

Iā€™ve cleared the first chapter and once you find better weapons it is not that challenging even at higher difficulties. Unlocking new story chapters and characters will take forever so Iā€™m leaning towards buying the large bundle for ~$25 that includes all story chapters, all characters and more cards.